SECRETARY FOR THE FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, 0.80 FTE -1.00 FTE
Reference number: AT2017.137
We are looking for an enthusiastic, take-charge professional that will act as the binding factor for the Department Technology and Society Studies (TSS) at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. You will act as secretarial and administrative assistant for the head of the Department and other members of the department. You will share an office with colleagues from other departments. Tasks and responsibilities can be distributed in a flexible way amongst the colleagues, for example to cover holiday leave.
In this job you will
- Act as the first point of contact for the Department Technology and Society Studies.
- Carry out secretarial duties: incoming and outgoing mail, telephone communication, administrative support, agenda management etcetera.
- Organize meetings/events, make minutes and monitor deadlines.
- Contribute to the faculty’s efforts in the domain of hospitality.
- Collect, process and provide management information.
- Monitor departmental and personal research budgets and assist with preparing progress reports.
You are accurate, pro-active, flexible, service-oriented and well-organized. You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and can interact with a variety of people ranging from support staff to academic staff members to students. You are flexible and capable of multi-tasking. We expect you to be eager to learn and innovate and to be result-orientated. We are looking for a colleague with a positive and upbeat personality.
- You successfully completed a relevant MBO+/HBO or equal programme.
- Excellent English and Dutch language skills (writing, speaking, reading).
- Experience in a similar function.
- You feel at home in an international and complex organizational environment.
- Capable of multi-tasking and working with a variety of (international) staff.
- You will be able to organize your workload and set clearly defined priorities.
- You are familiar with the latest developments in the secretary work field, you are able to apply those developments to your own work and to explain them to direct colleagues.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You are able to reflect on your own performance and to use feedback in order to develop yourself.
- Proficient using the latest version of the Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, e-mail and web searches).
- Accurate and able to forecast what actions will be needed.
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 16,500 students and 4,000 employees. Reflecting the university's strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts six faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS) has a staff of about 250, and over 1,600 students. The department of Technology and Society Studies has about 30 members. All programmes are offered in English. Students come from all over the world. FASoS offers two 3-year Bachelor programmes: Arts and Culture, and European Studies, six different 1-year Master programmes and two 2-year research Master programmes. Its Graduate School takes in around 10 PhD students each year. Research is organised around four programmes: Politics and Culture in Europe; Maastricht University Science, Technology and Society Studies; Arts, Media and Culture; and Globalisation, Transnationalism and Development. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is housed in several recently renovated 18th-century buildings in the historic city centre of Maastricht.
What we offer
We offer a dynamic and challenging job in an internationally-oriented organization where young people receive an advanced education and scholars conduct exciting research.
This position will offer you the opportunity to collaborate with a variety of interesting people ranging from highly educated professionals to students.
In terms of our organization, you are a member of the Department Technology and Society Studies (TSS).
We offer a 0.80 fte -1.00 fte appointment as Secretary for one year.
Remuneration will be according to standard salary levels, depending on education and relevant work experience, in salary scale 6 (€ 1.904,00 - € 2.647,00 gross per month, based on a fulltime appointment) according to the collective labour agreement (CAO) of Dutch Universities, including 8% holiday pay and an 8,3% end of year payment.
The conditions of employment are excellent. Within the framework of the university job structure (UFO), the position is ranked in the category “Administrative Secretary”, level 3.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Further information on the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is available on our website: www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/fasos
Any inquiries about the position may be addressed to Cerien Streefland, director FASoS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maastricht University’s Terms of Employment are laid down in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local university provisions apply as well. For more information please see the website: www.maastrichtuniversity.nl
/ Support / UM employees.
Candidates are invited to submit their application. Applicants should send:
1. A cover letter.
2. A CV.
3. The contact information of two references (including e-mail, phone number, mailing address, and relationship to the applicant).
The job interview will be in English.
The deadline for submitting your application is 30 June 2017.
Please send your application electronically to the Secretariat of the Faculty Office: Pzfdcwvacatures@maastrichtuniversity.nl